Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Meiji Jingu Semifinals

Man, nothing seems to stop Kajitsu right now. I wonder if the southern prefectures domination of 高校野球 will continue.

They strike first against Oogaki Nichidai and ace Kassai. In the 2nd, with runners on the corners and 2 down, Sasaki gets a timely hit. 1-0.

Oogaki manages to score the douten run in the 4th as Uchino hits a grounder with runners on 2nd and 3rd. The game stays that way until the 7th, when Kassai gives up back to back hits to put runners at the corners. Hayashi then hits a RBI double to give Kajitsu the lead once again, and Hirayama hits a sac fly to stretch the lead to 2 runs.

Oogaki would cut that deficit to 1 immediately as Gotou hits a 2-out RBI single, but when Uchino delivers another RBI via groundout in the 9th, it would be too much for the Toukai champs. Oogaki Nichidai falls 4-2 and with it pretty much the hopes of Aikoudai Meiden or Mie receiving an invitation to Senbatsu. Too bad, as I would have liked to see either team there.

In the other semifinal, Urawa Gakuin and Nichidai-san were scoreless early, but in the bottom of the 4th it fell apart for Urawa ace Satou.

With 2 down and runners on 1st and 2nd, Shimizu delivers an RBI single to give Nichidai the 1-0 lead. Then Satou hangs a slow curve and Suganuma drives it to left for a 3-run homerun. Just like that it was 4-0 and Urawa had to play catch-up. However, starter Yoshinaga for Nichidai-san would not let Urawa back in the game, yielding only 7 hits and 2 runs. And while Satou and Nakayama would give up only 6 hits combined, the hanging curve by Satou proved to be the difference. Nichidai-san advances to the finals with a 5-2 victory.

So the Kyushu and Tokyo super-regional champions will square off. The Kanto super-region will be rooting for their Tokyo counterpart as a victory should mean an extra bid. Kyushu's main backer will be Kyushu Gakuin who probably has a name recognition edge over Hasami should Kajitsu win the title.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I went to the Sanko vs. Hokkai game on Sunday. Yoshinaga is AWESOME. I saw him hit 146 on the radar gun but articles claim he gets 147 sometimes. I really need to write up that game. Didn't bring my big camera but I do have a few crappy pictures anyway, and some movies of the various ouendan :)

Are you able to actually watch video from these? I'm a little sad that I can't go to the games due to having work... if it wasn't raining today I'd consider sneaking out to the Waseda-Tokai final since I have no afternoon classes, but I'd come back wet and cold, so.

Goro Shigeno said...

I didn't think that the Justin TV people were carrying the HS Jingu games, but it turns out they are. I definitely will go back and recap the finals, and I'll see if they have the prior games too.

Looks like with Nichidai-san winning the automatic bid for the Tokyo super-regional, that floating bid will move to Kanto. Should be interesting who's invited.